Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dark Elf Hydra...WIP

Rawr!!!
Hello!

I finished my Hydra model a few days ago, and I am waiting for the gloss varnish (Quickshade Strong Tone) to dry. In the mean time, I thought I would share some pics! This was my first attempt at using an airbrush, and I think it turned out pretty well. My camera sucks, so please bear with the pictures.

The under side of the model was primed with black Vallejo primer. I then built up a layer of dark blue, ice blue, and then a light layer of a khaki (all by airbrush). The effect is really cool in person. The blues show through in some areas where the khaki meets the green of the top side of the model, which really helps to blend the two areas.

The top side of the model was primed with black and grey Vallejo in different areas. After that, it was based with a green from the Vallejo Game Color line (I can't remember which), and then a highlight was added with a green from the Tamiya line. Both of the greens were not applied evenly, which allowed the black/grey to make some of the details really pop. It left trippy designs swirled on the skin, which I rather like.

The bone plates were base coated in a Vallejo brown, with a layer of a Tamiya redish-brown, and highlighted with Citadel bleached bone and skull white. I then inked then with a dark brown ink. And then they got another dose of brown ink (different shade) from the Quickshade. The dark brown ink in the Quickshade really helped to blend the colors together.

Enough rambling, more pictures!

You can see the greens blending together here.

You can see the blue showing through at the neck joint here.


Sorceress in the background, more on her later!

Shot of the bone plates on the back.




















































I learned some really important things while doing this model:
  1. My airbrush does not like the Vallejo primers. I had to dilute them to get them to flow properly, even though the bottles swear that I shouldn't have to.
  2. My airbrush loves diluted Tamiya paints. Easy as pie to use, easier to clean up.
  3. Vallejo Model Air paints are hit or miss. Some colors sprayed fine, but most needed to be thinned.
  4. Don't paint when you are tired....you will get chainmail paint on your airbrushed work and want to kill a kitten.
I am consider leaving some of the skin glossy. I think it would give it a slimy, lizard look. I think I will still apply a matte varnish to the bony areas. What do you all think of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment