Friday, July 25, 2014

Warmachine is Amazing

Hello Interwebz,

I have been under the radar for a really long time. I am getting used to life in Oregon, and doing this whole adult thing (professional job/car/buying furniture). Thankfully, even though I live in a small college town, I have managed to find some wargaming groups close by. There is a really competitive Warhammer 40k community here, and a really laid back Warmachine group that I just met last night.

So, Warmachine first caught my eye back in 2009. I have had Retribution of Scyrah models for years, but I have never played a game. Back in Pennsylvania, Warmachine was not that popular and was completely overshadowed by the Warhammer 40k community. So, with great anticipation, I took my first foray into the Iron Kingdoms last night...and I loved it immensely.

So my first matchup was a 50pt game versus Cygnar. "50pts!?!?! Why did you do that to yourself", you say? The guys at the store were prepping for a tournament and testing their 50pt lists, so I didn't want to make someone lose out on tournament practice just because I am a newb. For those that aren't familiar, 15pt lists are generally the accepted level for a newb, and 50pt lists are some of the largest before you are allowed to take multiple battlegroups (like the 1999 point cap in Warhammer 40k). So my angry ninja elves, led by Rahn, got to face off against "Seige" and the Cygnarian pansy gun mages.

Mini batrep time! I don't have pics and I don't remember exactly what my opponent fielded, so I apologize in advance.

Angry Ninja Elves:
Rahn w/ a Phoenix and a Griffon
Elara w/a Phoenix and a Griffon
Full Mage Hunter Strike Force
Stormfall Archers
Narn
Artificer
2x Mage Hunter Assassins
2x Arcanist

Cygnarian Pansies:
Seige w/ Centurion and some other 'jack
Journeyman w/ some light warjack
Pansy knights of Cygnar
Black 13th Gun Mages
Full unit of normal Gun Mages
Storm Mage
Squire
Lanyssa Ryssyl
Some dude that throws oil on your warjack to debuff them

So, spoiler alert, I lost, but it was close! My strategy was to run Elara's battlegroup up the left flank with an assassin, the artificer, and an arcanist. Rahn's battlegroup and the MHSF were to hold the center with an assassin. And lastly, my archers and Narn would hold the right flank. I made plenty of newb mistakes the first couple of turns allocating focus and using the Phoenixes to their maximum potential. I was also not aggressive enough with the MHSF. I held them back expecting to get rushed, but the rush never came and they sat around for a couple of turns with nothing to do. Opposing my lanes, I was facing gun mages on the left, knights in the middle, and the Black 13th on the right with the storm mage and journeyman.

I was not completely comprehending how to decide my match ups, so I made some errors with Elara's battlegroup. I should have been feeding the Griffon as much focus as possible to tie up the gun mages, but instead I was trying to cast her spells and camp focus. I failed to get a charge lane past the gun mages for my assassin ("Siege" was in the back on this side), and the battlegroup was picked apart over 3-4 turns with help from my opponent's center.

The situation in the center was pretty messy. The terrain on both side funneled into the center of the board. Between Rahn's spells, the Phoenix, and eventually the MHSF, I was able to open a wide hole into my opponents back field for my assassin to try and set up for a late game assassination run. The Cygnarian knights were practically wiped out to a man. Sadly, soon after this, "Siege" used his feat and wrecked all four of my warjacks in one turn.

On the right side of the board, Narn earned himself a place in every list I will ever make. With some help from the archers, he cleared the Black 13th, killed the journeyman (which left the 'jack inert!), and with a little help from Rahn's telekinesis spell, made a charge on "Siege" late in the game. His first attack hit and hurt the Cygnarian whelp pretty badly. The second attack...missed. Despite this, his performance was truly spectacular. I will probably do a write up on this guy at some point. He was freaking amazing.

Sadly though, at that point in the game, I didn't have enough models left to get the job done. The MHSF was screened and could not get clear shots/charges, all of my jacks were dead, and Rahn had used his activation to set up Narn's assassination run and Rahn was killed on the next turn. So, even though I lost, I had a ton of fun and I learned a lot.

There will be lots of Warmachine content coming up in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment